This packet has information that will be pertinent to you throughout the year from policies, to transportation, to important dates. Two key dates to keep in mind at this time are Aug. 22nd for our rising 6th grade Cougars and parents to attend Cougar Camp beginning at 9 AM at HCMS and Aug. 31st for our fee day from 11 AM – 4 PM in an open flow format for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.
Also, again this year students will be able to carry laptop-compatible backpacks or computer bags to classes. If needed, we will have computer bags that you may borrow for the school year that will be signed out during the laptop deployment stage.
I hope everyone is having a relaxing summer and we can’t wait to see you.
We would love for you to volunteer at the Creek in 2017-2018! Click here to download a School Volunteer form.
Please take a moment to review the attendance procedures and policy for the coming school year.
When Your Child Is Out:
Parents: Please make sure you call the school the day of the absence at 527-2640 or send in a note within 24 hours of each absence.
Henrico Code of Conduct states:
- When a student accumulates five (5) unexcused absences, the parent will be contacted and the school social worker will develop a plan with the parents to resolve the student’s nonattendance.
- When a student accumulates six (6) unexcused absences, the social worker supervisor will report the attendance status to the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office.
- When a student accumulates seven (7) unexcused absences, the school social worker will file a complaint against the student and /or parent through Henrico Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court.
- A written statement by a physician is required when a student misses more than 10 days during the school year because of illness.
- Please call the school the day of your child’s absence.
- If you forget to call the day of the absence please send a note within 24 hours of the absence.
Have a relaxing and enjoyable summer!
Goal: Read 1000 minutes this summer!
August 22, 2017 – Cougar Camp 6th graders 9:00-12:00
August 31, 2017 – Fee Day – 11:00-4:00
September 5, 2017 – 2017-2018 School Year Begins!!
To get a head start on next school year’s supply purchases, here are the lists by grade levels.
Attached is the revised Glen Allen High School Summer reading for rising 9th grade honors (and center) students who will be attending Glen Allen this fall.
The assignment is posted on the Glen Allen Website under “summer reading,”
Here is a link to the assignment:
Cheerleading tryouts for the 2017-2018 school year will be held the 2nd week of school – September 11-15, 2017
Dear Cougar Families,
As a follow up to my letter this week highlighting changes to the 2017-18 schedule, I wanted to take a minute to share a few additional resources that will be part of HCMS next year.
- With the small-pocket redistricting, the county has provided us with the equivalent of four teachers and has provided us with additional staffing in the form of a math coach and a Dean of Students. The additional teachers will help decrease overall class size at HCMS for the 2017-18 school year.
- The transition to the Innovation / Literacy Block was based upon student feedback solicited as we made our way through the Henrico Education Foundation (HEF) Grant process for the maker space. This change will also assist with the Middle School Transformation and the integration of S.T.E.A.M. across all content areas.For more information regarding this grant and current activities, please visit our HCMS website highlighting our MakerHUB. This block also allows us to better serve our students who may need Tier 2 academic or behavior supports.
I would like to personally thank our school board representative and chair, Mrs. Beverly Cocke, and Central Office for the true teamwork and collaboration to best meet the diverse needs of all students at HCMS.
Have a great day!!!
Click the link to download a copy of the Summer Reading List for Middle Schools.
Due to safety concerns during transition times in the hallways, we will be making a few changes as it relates to food and drinks. We will now follow these safety measures:
**No student will have water bottles, coffee cups, or any bottle carrying liquids out during hallway transition. Also, no student will have food out during hallway transitions. These items, even if brought from home, must be consumed in the café prior to leaving at the 8:05 a.m. bell or put in your book bags for later use.
**Unless a student has a specified doctor’s note on file, students must keep water bottles etc. in your book bag / locker and may use them while at your locker during transition times. Feel free to use our water fountains at any time during transition periods.
**Our PE staff will now have water stations set up so that you will have access to water during your PE block.
**If items are confiscated, they will be returned to you at the conclusion of the day from your grade level administrator. You will also receive a lunch detention for this infraction.
Thank you for your continued support of HCMS as we continue to keep student safety at the forefront of our decision making.
4909 Francistown Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Phone (804) 527-2640 | Fax (804) 527-2642
School Hours: 8:35 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Half-day dismissal time: 12:10 p.m.