In honor of Virginia School Principals Appreciation Week, here’s a quick video shout-out to some of the principals that are making a difference in students’ lives!
There is a new traffic pattern for drop off and pick up. Click here to down load a copy of the new map.
The Parent Portal Access for Schoology has now been opened to Hungary Creek parents. This will allow you to follow all of your students’ courses throughout the school year.
In order to provide the highest level of security of your student’s personal information while also allowing you access to create and connect your Schoology account, HCPS has stored your child’s Schoology Access Code within PowerSchool. This means that parents will first create or sign into PowerSchool, locate the Schoology tab, and use the information found there to create and connect their Schoology account. Once a parent has completed setting up Schoology, they can sign into Schoology independently of Powerschool. Remember – Powerschool will continue to be the gradebook of record. When checking/verifying your child’s grades always refer to PowerSchool.
Please follow these instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13U_Hi3p8qjvOKlQCl1fCgbNHwgcxy3c3SrZ_Tev_b-I/edit
We would love for you to volunteer at the Creek in 2017-2018! Click here to download a School Volunteer form.
Please take a moment to review the attendance procedures and policy for the coming school year.
When Your Child Is Out:
Parents: Please make sure you call the school the day of the absence at 527-2640 or send in a note within 24 hours of each absence.
Henrico Code of Conduct states:
- When a student accumulates five (5) unexcused absences, the parent will be contacted and the school social worker will develop a plan with the parents to resolve the student’s nonattendance.
- When a student accumulates six (6) unexcused absences, the social worker supervisor will report the attendance status to the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office.
- When a student accumulates seven (7) unexcused absences, the school social worker will file a complaint against the student and /or parent through Henrico Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court.
- A written statement by a physician is required when a student misses more than 10 days during the school year because of illness.
- Please call the school the day of your child’s absence.
- If you forget to call the day of the absence please send a note within 24 hours of the absence.
Dear Cougar Families,
As a follow up to my letter this week highlighting changes to the 2017-18 schedule, I wanted to take a minute to share a few additional resources that will be part of HCMS next year.
- With the small-pocket redistricting, the county has provided us with the equivalent of four teachers and has provided us with additional staffing in the form of a math coach and a Dean of Students. The additional teachers will help decrease overall class size at HCMS for the 2017-18 school year.
- The transition to the Innovation / Literacy Block was based upon student feedback solicited as we made our way through the Henrico Education Foundation (HEF) Grant process for the maker space. This change will also assist with the Middle School Transformation and the integration of S.T.E.A.M. across all content areas.For more information regarding this grant and current activities, please visit our HCMS website highlighting our MakerHUB. This block also allows us to better serve our students who may need Tier 2 academic or behavior supports.
I would like to personally thank our school board representative and chair, Mrs. Beverly Cocke, and Central Office for the true teamwork and collaboration to best meet the diverse needs of all students at HCMS.
Have a great day!!!
Due to safety concerns during transition times in the hallways, we will be making a few changes as it relates to food and drinks. We will now follow these safety measures:
**No student will have water bottles, coffee cups, or any bottle carrying liquids out during hallway transition. Also, no student will have food out during hallway transitions. These items, even if brought from home, must be consumed in the café prior to leaving at the 8:05 a.m. bell or put in your book bags for later use.
**Unless a student has a specified doctor’s note on file, students must keep water bottles etc. in your book bag / locker and may use them while at your locker during transition times. Feel free to use our water fountains at any time during transition periods.
**Our PE staff will now have water stations set up so that you will have access to water during your PE block.
**If items are confiscated, they will be returned to you at the conclusion of the day from your grade level administrator. You will also receive a lunch detention for this infraction.
Thank you for your continued support of HCMS as we continue to keep student safety at the forefront of our decision making.
The Henrico County School Board made a decision at its monthly meeting, March 23, on the small-scale first phase of a two-year middle school redistricting process. The Board chose Option C for the first phase, which will move a small pocket of Hungary Creek Middle School’s attendance area to Holman Middle School starting in fall 2017. The move is designed to reduce overcrowded conditions at Hungary Creek, and will only apply to students who are currently in fifth-grade or younger.
Where is the pocket and how will affected families be notified?
The pocket affected by the Board’s move is a small area north of West Broad Street where Gaskins and Hungary roads intersect with Springfield Road. Sixty-eight rising students from Springfield Park and Longan elementary schools will be shifted from Hungary Creek to Holman, and those families will receive detailed information about the change and next steps shortly. Affected students would not be moved again as part of the 2018-19 phase. For more details, including a map, visit our redistricting page: henricoschools.us/redistricting
With the 2017-18 shift decided, the process will now focus on draft options for more extensive 2018-19 shifts affecting more HCPS middle schools. While the small-pocket part of Option C was chosen for the 2017-18 phase, the more sweeping Option C proposal is just one option being considered for the 2018-19 phase, along with Option A in addition to any potential future options that are created and released to the public.
How can I comment on the larger-scale 2018-19 options?
There are two in-person events specifically designed for public input:
- At an informal open-house-style community input session April 6 from 6-7:30 p.m. at L. Douglas Wilder Middle School (6900 Wilkinson Road), members of the public can drop by, see maps of proposed options displayed in the gym and discuss the draft options with staff members and the redistricting consultant.
- A public hearing May 11 from 6-7:30 p.m. at New Bridge Auditorium (5915 Nine Mile Road) will be a more formal format with an agenda that will include a chance for members of the community to address the Board. Each person’s remarks will be limited to three minutes.
Community members are also encouraged to weigh in by using the online survey/comment form. The form, along with news and resources related to the process, can be found on HCPS’ website, at henricoschools.us/redistricting.
The redistricting process will not affect current middle or high school students.
4909 Francistown Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Phone (804) 527-2640 | Fax (804) 527-2642
School Hours: 8:35 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Half-day dismissal time: 12:10 p.m.