Please see the following items highlighting upcoming events:
Specialty Center Information for 8th Graders
Henrico County Public Schools’ high school specialty centers offer students a chance to immerse themselves in an area of particular interest, engage in a rigorous, tailored curriculum and be part of a community that shares their passions. Henrico County eighth-graders and their families can explore the benefits of HCPS specialty centers by attending open houses starting Monday, Oct. 26. To prioritize safety during the current pandemic all open houses will be virtual this year.
HCPS specialty center virtual open houses (sessions at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.):
• Center for Engineering (Highland Springs H.S.): Oct. 26
• International Baccalaureate Middle Years/Diploma Programs (Henrico H.S.): Oct. 27
• ACE Center at Highland Springs (Highland Springs H.S.): Oct. 28
• ACE Center at Hermitage (Hermitage H.S.): Oct. 29
• International Baccalaureate Middle Years/Diploma Programs (J.R. Tucker H.S.): Nov. 4
• Center for Education and Human Development (Glen Allen H.S.): Nov. 5
• Center for Communications and Media Relations (Varina H.S.): Nov. 10
• Advance College Academy for Business Administration (Highland Springs H.S.): Nov. 11
• Center for Spanish Language and Global Citizenship (J.R. Tucker H.S.): Nov. 17
• Center for the Humanities (Hermitage H.S.): Nov. 18
• The Todd A. Phillips Center for Medical Sciences (Mills Godwin H.S.): Nov. 23
• Center for Leadership, Government and Global Economics (Douglas Freeman H.S.): Dec. 1
• Advance College Academy for Social Sciences (J.R. Tucker H.S.): Dec. 2
• Center for Information Technology (Deep Run H.S.): Dec. 7
• Center for the Arts (Henrico H.S.): Dec. 8
To see the application timeline and information about applying, go to https://henricoschools.us/specialty-centers/. Links to attend the open houses will be available on the “Open House Schedule” tab by the day of the event. Families can get started now by viewing short informational videos and slide presentations about the specialty centers. To see those informational presentations, go to https://henricoschools.us/specialty-centers/ and click on the “Information Sessions” tab.
Each specialty center will hold two sessions on its scheduled open house day, one at 5 p.m. and another at 7 p.m. There will be a question period during each open house. Students can attend as many specialty center open houses as they wish. Open houses will be conducted using Microsoft Teams. No registration is required, participation is free and you can take part without creating a Teams account.
Admission to HCPS specialty centers is open to current HCPS students as well as Henrico residents who are currently enrolled in private schools or being home-schooled.
A message from the Cougar Library:
Wednesday, October 28th is the last day to bring back overdue library books! This deadline has been set for all HCPS Libraries. Place books in the bin at the main entrance to HCMS or in the bin in the bus loop from 7:45 AM to 3:45 PM on school days. You may also drop them off at the book return bin at any other HCPS school. All students with overdue books have received a Schoology message, and parents/guardians have received an email with the title(s) of the overdue book(s).
There are still 241 HCMS students who have not returned 458 books checked out during the 2019-2020 school year. Unfortunately, if these books are not returned, other students will not be able to enjoy them. We want to ensure that all students have fair and equitable access to all library books, but we are unable to do so when hundreds of books are lost from our collection. Please be a part of the solution by bringing your books back.
Meals at The Creek:
Breakfast & Lunch Service
*Please note HCMS will be distributing meals from our bus loop. Distribution of free meals will take place at all elementary, middle, and high schools.
Monday through Thursday (Friday meals are distributed on Thursdays.)
7 AM – 9 AM: Hot breakfasts (when available) and cold lunches.
11:30 AM – 1:30 PM: Hot lunches as well as cold breakfasts for the next day.
Have a great weekend!!!